UNIDO delegation visit to the Republic of Belarus and 2nd Project Steering committee in Grodno
On March 27-29, 2017, there was a UNIDO delegation visit to the Republic of Belarus and Grodno region. During the visit on March 27, 2017 in Minsk there was organized a business meeting with the management representatives of the National agency for investments and privatization of the Republic of Belarus. The sides discussed perspectives for the agency’s positioning and promotion of the project for the establishing of Grodno agro industrial park (GAIP) with the aim of potential investors attraction for the regional development of fruit and vegetables processing companies.
On March 28, 2017, the delegation visited perspective plots in the Grodno region (Lida, Skidel, territory Auls – Grodno, territory Kolbasino – Grodno) for the establishing of GAIP. There were as well negotiations in the State Institution Administration of the free economic zone (FEZ) Grodnoinvest discussing the FEZ participation in the project within the development of the planned agro industrial cluster.
On March 29, 2017, there were negotiations in the Grodno center for standardization, metrology and certification for organization of seminars in food industry quality management and choice of pilot enterprises for the implementation of HACCP quality management system.
In the course of the next meeting in Grodno state agrarian university, the sides considered the implementation progress of the training and development center establishing at the premises of the university. The center could introduce a number of services for producers and processors from fruit and vegetable sector and be the first step on the way to the GAIP creation by means of increase in quality and quantity of raw materials for the processing enterprises.
The closing and the most relevant event of the visit and finalizing of meetings results was the 2nd Project steering committee.
The Steering committee provides strategic guidance of the project. During the meeting the project manager Karl Schebesta made a report – presentation on the project activities implementation, financial expenditure and planning as well as review on the conducted activities for the period October 2016 – March 2017 among which:
- Inception report of the GAIP master plan from the developer «EPRD Office for Economic Policy and Regional Development Ltd.»;
- Formation and work of national team of experts;
- Gender assessment & baseline study complete and provided to the beneficiaries;
- EPRD presenting and follow – up revision of the Draft GAIP Master Plan;
- Award of contract to CAMPDEN BRI in Budapest, Hungary for “Introduction of HACCP based QM systems in a number of selected enterprises in Grodno, Belarus”.
The project manager presented in detail the description of the GAIP Draft Master Plan and informed on the official providing of the document to the counterparts after the 2nd PSC for the examining and institutional decisions taking.
The aim of GAIP is identified as establishment of an organization which is able to provide services to all actors active in the Fruit and Vegetable chains that allow them to participate and contribute in making the production of Fruit and Vegetable in the Region of Grodno most effective and efficient for both producers, consumers, as well as the relevant processing industries.
Among the planned project activities for the coming period were mentioned:
- Series of Food safety, quality management and HACCP awareness training;
- Planning of Training and development center activities, choice of the necessary equipment;
- Developing training materials for the center;
- Developing a pool of trainers for the center.
The meeting participants expressed their comments, remarks and proposals regarding:
- Further improving of the project events and their implementation;
- Reporting system flow and partners informing;
- Organization of the process for the equipment choice for the center, that was decided to be located on the premises of Grodno state agrarian university;
- Potential reconsidering of the implementation of certain activities and other issues.
All the proposals will be taken into account for the further work within the project and summarized in the 2nd PSC minutes.All photos